I’ve been thinking about the subject of “Work Life Balance“ a lot at present in preparation for a seminar I’m delivering soon. As I was pondering, I asked myself, “What are the things I know to be true and timeless and that actually help me as a working mum? What will help you as a working mum right now, to feel a bit more in control and a bit more “balanced” today?
Here they are, five things you need to know about work life balance as a working mum!
- If you burn the candle at both ends, you’ll eventually suffer from “burn out”. You know when you’re doing it and you know why you’re doing it. But you have to stop occasionally and ask yourself. At what point is this going to become chronic?Coach Yourself Question
When are you going to be “done for the day”?
- Too much of anything is not good for us.For example, everyone agrees that drinking water is a good thing for our health and wellbeing. However, you can still kill yourself if you drink too much of that good thing. Make your own decisions on what is too much for you – you don’t really need anyone else to tell you.Coach Yourself Question:
What are you getting too much of in your life at present?
- Getting a job that is part time is NOT a panacea for “achieving work life balance”. Nor is homeworking, teleworking, workshifting or setting up your own business from home. There will still be 2 loads of washing every day, you will probably add things onto your plate because you “have more time”, thus negating any effect of working fewer hours. Life will probably still be busy, especially with kids.Coach Yourself Question:
If you knew that you could NEVER change your current working hours or working pattern, what would you do to redress the balance in your life to keep yourself healthy and happy?
- Nothing lasts forever. Nothing nothing nothing.It’s a good thing to remember when you are worried what will happen if you are stressed about work and it all seems too much. Your job won’t last forever, your kids won’t always be kids. You won’t live forever. So I reckon it kind of makes sense to pay attention to the important things that won’t last forever and not to give too much of your attention to the things that might not be quite so important.Coach Yourself Question:
What do you need to give a little less attention to today? Where will you give a little more attention instead?
- Life is NOT getting any slower and technology is NOT making our lives simpler. Give yourself credit for the incredibly huge learning curve that you are on as a human being in the 21st century as well as a working mother. If you just stand back for a moment and recognise the supersonic pace of your life, you’re more likely to give yourself permission NOT to do it all, be it all, be everywhere and get it all right.Coach Yourself Question:
What will you do to acknowledge yourself for everything you have done today?
What are the things that you know to be true for YOU about work life balance? When you give yourself a good talking to, what do you say? Love to hear your wisdom: Share your comments below!